Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Traffic Court

I was pulled over in the city of Goodyear for not obeying a traffic device. Just in case you didn't know a traffic device is anything in the road that helps control traffic. In my case, the white line near an intersection. I am in the middle of all farm land approaching an intersection, there is a white line, then stop sign, and approximately 18 feet later an intersection. I, just like every other person in the world does, stopped at the stop sign. After going through the intersection I got pulled over by a 22 year old police officer. He gave me a ticket for not obeying the traffic devices at the intersection. He admitted that I stopped but I didn't stop where I was supposed to. He said what if there were people crossing the intersection. I reminded him we were in the middle of no where. There are no cross walks or street signs indicating pedestrian crossing ahead. He was pissing me off so bad that when he asked me to sign the ticket I threw the pen back at him. He proceeded to asked for a contact number. I told him "I didn't have one". He stated I couldn't leave until I gave him one. So I gave him one "555-5555". He says "I can stand here all day". I wanted to follow that statement up with "it's 115 degrees outside and nice and cool inside my car, I can do this too". I didn't say anything else and finally gave him my number.

Needless to say I went to court to defend myself. I brought photos of the intersection to help prove my case. I plead not guilty and a month later we went to trail. My court date was two days ago and I can't believe what happened.

First off, the young police officer completely lied in court about what happened. He stated that I ran the stopped sign completely and just blew through the intersection. Later he admitted I stopped but said I was way out in the middle of the intersection. The judge was taken back by this case. It was not an open and shut case as some may believe. He had to take a recess to talk it over with two other judges. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Taking a recess in traffic court to figure out the case.

Anyways, twenty plus minutes go by and the judge walks back into the room with two different law books. He starts reading a whole bunch of different laws for various traffic statutes around Arizona. He stated that "the white line is a traffic device that you must stop behind. If there is a stop sing pasted the white line you must pull up to the stop sign and then stop there as well and if the intersection is beyond that you again have to pull up and stop at the intersection." WHAT!
So, if you weren't paying attention at this particular intersection you have to stop three time before you can go by.

This is my problem. If a judge, who has studied law his whole life, had to have a 20 plus minute recess to find out the traffic laws, how in Gods name is the everyday guy suppose to know this. Even though I did stop at the stop sign I did not complete all three stop that this intersection requires thus I was found guilty for not following a traffic device. I cost me $150 bucks for following the laws that I was taught in driving school. What really makes matters worse the judge told the officer not to pull people over for this any longer. WHAT! That is how messed up phoenix is right now. They are so up-side-down in debt that they need every penny they can squeeze out of people. BURN baby BURN.

No comments:

Post a Comment